My First Doc Contribution

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Apr 10 17:35:12 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 10 April 2001 10:18, Dan Shafer wrote:
> Ned....
>
> Thanks. Great feedback. I'll make a few changes to the tutorial based on
> this stuff.
>
> Re the IV: yeah, I knew that but I was looking for a _totally_
> direct-manipulation way of doing this work, not requiring the user to type
> in any code at all. But pointing out your variation as an alternative way
> to approach the problem may be useful to some people, so I'll see if I can
> figure out how to add it without disrupting the flow and focus too much.
> Otherwise, I'll put it on my list of other activities to do tutorials on.

No, I was saying that you don't have to add an instance var at all. You can
use the text category of the viewer to access the text contents directly as a
number. No typing of code:

*make a new textmorph
* bring up its viewer
* select the "text" category in the viewer
* pull the green/purple arrow to the right of "numeric value"
* roll the up/down to the left of "numeric value" till it reads "numeric
value increase by"
* change the 0 to a 1

done!