Dumb question about headless & Nebraska

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Mon Apr 2 16:25:11 UTC 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Kevin Fisher wrote:
>
> > Strangely enough, I've done this before...several years back I had a
> > swiki running on Xvnc.  You're right, it is slow. :)
>
> I found it quite usable over a ISDN line - 8 bit deep, hextile coding. Not
> for working, but to administer Swikis it's sufficient.

Low level DSL works fine too. I have a little problem with display
updating and 8bit is *key*.

Stephan Pair (I think) did some work on VNC serving from Squeak. On the
Swiki there's a page where I and others talk about VNC vs. a Nebraska like
design.

I still think that putting VNC in at the BitBLT level has good speed
possibilities, especially with a custom client. One thing that makes a
*big* difference, according to the VNC papers and intuition, is update
regions. The more you know about what *needs* updating, and what you can
avoid, the better. Er.. maybe the BitBLT level idea isn't for this point
(it more relevant for seamlessness).

ANYWAY...(hey, daylight savings; I'm groggy). A Squeak VNC server with a
custom client (or, heck, prolly even the regular clients) could do pretty
well for normal ui.

The big advantage over Nebraska is the possibility of using very small,
ultra thin, "dumb" clients.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.