[ENH] GeniePlugin

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Mon Apr 16 13:13:43 UTC 2001

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 03:04:35PM +0200, Nathanael Schärli wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> > Does this plugin make use of the enhanced StrokeMorph that was posted
> > several weeks back?
>
> No, the plugin "only" accelerates the lookup of newly entered gestures and
> it doesn't influence the process of capturing the gesture at all. The
> following happens when a gesture is entered in Genie:
>
> 1) While you're drawing the gesture, Genie captures the points and updates
> the screen.
> 2) After finishing the gesture (lifting the pen resp. releasing the mouse
> button), Genie looks up the newly captured feature in the associated
> dictionary.
>
> The new primitive accelerates step two by factor 5 or more (on my machine),
> but it doesn't influence step one. Here you still need the StrokeMorph
> enhancement. Did you find out what was causing the problem with the new
> StrokeMorph on your iPaq? I was only using it on my PC and I never
> encountered any difficulties.

No, I wasn't able to determine what was happening.  The new StrokeMorph
worked well on windows that were already opened, but if I opened a new
window or resized an existing one then something 'bad' would happen,
and Genie would only recognize a single pixel.

> Please let us know about your experiences. If everything works well, I can
> make an official update for Genie and otherwise I'll try to figure out
> what's going wrong...

I'll see what I can find when I try again with the plugin.  I'm looking
forward to seeing how this performs!

> Today, I used Genie on a slower desktop PC and with the two enhancements
> it's so much more fun! The lookup is now so fast that I hardly feel the
> delay and I can write very fast, even if I use big dictionaries.

Excellent stuff...even with the 'old' Genie I was having a great time
doing some actual coding with just my Wacom tablet (no keyboard).