Civil Modularity (Re: Smalltalk & Squeak featured on Slashdot)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Sun Apr 22 15:33:35 UTC 2001

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Les Tyrrell wrote:

> > Hmm. I guess I should mention the FileContentsBrowser too, which is let's
> > you "FileIn" a changeset or .st file without loading it into the system,
> > so you can browse and selectively file in stuff. One of my favorite tools!
>
> Not to rain on that guy's parade, but if you continue your searches you
> will find who suggested
> that... and who already had that running in Oasis.

<sigh/>I hereby take this as the product of sleep deprived jocularity.

I guessed I should mention it as it didn't make it on my original list,
which was a quick stab at providing a decent starting point for informed
discussion.
[snip]
> Ah the memories... gee, I must have been, let's see, maybe 13 when I
> wrote that... ( I am not proud of the time this has taken ).

Well, just goes to show that it's a very tough nut to crack.

> > Tools-File Contents Browser category has some "inert" classes, e.g.,
> > PsuedoClass, PseudoClassOrganizer, PseudoMetaclass which work well enough
> > to be browsable. I take it that this is similar to that bit of Oasis you
> > describe in the above quote? I'd be interested to know what the gap in
> > funcationality is (one thing, I suspect, is that you can't actually edit
> > anything in the File Contents Browser...and, of course, whatever other
> > nifty tools you might have are missing, but I suspect that editing is the
> > key bit).
>
> My dear boy, in Oasis you can use the Refactoring Browser on those things.

Well grampa, the actual question is what bits of emulation in the inert
classes is missing to make general tools "just work"? Or do they have to
be specially tuned to deal with these things?

Mainly, I'm wondering if there's a small set of changes that would pave
the way for FileContentsBrowser to be able to do major, Oasis like code
munging.

In particular, one thing I'd like to have, and seems reasonable to work
on, is filters for the various file-out formats. I've been getting bit by
the VW xml format a lot.

Cheers,
Bijan "Civility Usually Doesn't Involve Tar and Feathers" Parsia.