Space usage (where is it all going?)

Scott A Crosby crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu
Sat Apr 28 20:33:46 UTC 2001

Hello.... I've got a few patch (which I tried to send from within
squeak,but it diedn't appear on the mailing list.)

If I can get that to work, I'll send them off...

Anyways, space usage: I'm doing a dump of only large objects, IE: object
count and memory usage on large (>8kb) objects:

SoundBuffer                           2031           1          9492
WeakArray                              710           1        231880
Array                                 1427           7        495360
ByteArray                             3192          30        624681
String                               16714          45       1312768
Bitmap                                3277           8       3087160
--
Total                              4643584          92       5761341

Roughly 3mb in the image results from 8 large bitmaps, and another 1.3mb
results from 45 large strings. I'm unfamilar enough with smalltalk to be
unsure how to derive exactly what bitmaps and what strings they are, but
if we can remove or compress them, we can save amost 30% of image size. 53
object to save 30%.

I've also got an implementation of immutable strings that I want to offer
to the list. (Though ideally, Symbol should be refactored to use them?)

So, any ideas why the 'send to mailing list' didn't work?

Scott

--
No DVD movie will ever enter the public domain, nor will any CD. The last CD
and the last DVD will have moldered away decades before they leave copyright.