Etoy and collections

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Sun Apr 15 08:37:59 UTC 2001

> Alan Kay wrote:
> >
> > To get you starting thinking about this, take a look at a "holder"
> > (it's that beige rectangle in the supplies flap). Or you can convert
> > any playfield to a holder by looking at the playfield options in the
> > red menu. If you look at a holder's viewer you will see a collections
> > aspect which has some kiddie useful states and behaviors. One
> > generalization of this to the next level of programming could be that
> > every Morph has this collections perspective, and the submorphs that
> > might be embedded in the Morph would show up in here.
> >
> > There are other interesting ways of thinking of the idea that we are
> > working towards: that every "omniuser" object has:
> >     * an object perspective
> >     * a graphic perspective
> >     * a collection (or "cargo") perspective
> >     * a "role in the current production" perspective
Thanks. I'v been wondering what those holders were:-).
I also found that by opening a inspector one can bring up viewers on
any smalltalk class. It seems very powerfull. Seems like etoy scripting
soon can be as powerfull as browser coding, and not just for morphic.

I still have to work out how collections should be presented in the
GUI. The etoy system maybe need a collection widget to deal with
the visual layout of colletions content.
It seems like a big overhead to add a instance variable to each item
to have access to it.
Like
firstVertice _ self costume vertices first.
etc.

Karl