Please help a brand new Squeaker.

Christopher Sawtell csawtell at xtra.co.nz
Sun Apr 15 08:07:50 UTC 2001

Greetings Squeakers,

 After playing about with it for essentially just a few hours, Squeak
Smalltalk would appear to be a very possible answer to my needs but I have a
couple or three quick questions.

1) Squeak seems horrendously slow. I can't help but wonder if I have left
   out a compilation stage or something. Should the huge file of classes
   called SqueakV3.sources be compiled or processed in some
   way if Squeak is to achieve full performance?

2) I am hoping to use Squeak in a control situation.
   Please could some kind soul direct me to a wisp of wisdom about
   interfacing between programs generated using Squeak and the o/s ( Linux,
   if it matters ) drivers. There is a suggestion in the Mail-list archive
   that this is possible, but the continuation of the thread seems to have
   been lost.

3) After an application is written is it possible to generate a binary which
    is directly launchable from the o/s in the normal way?

4) How can I interface with ordinary applications - an SQL database for
    example.

Thanks a 10^6

--
Sincerely etc.,

 NAME       Christopher Sawtell
 CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
 ICQ UIN    45863470
 EMAIL      csawtell @ xtra . co . nz
 CNOTES     ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

 -->> Please refrain from using HTML or WORD attachments in e-mails to me <<--