Another Morphic Tutorial

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 16:41:44 UTC 2001

Dan Shafer wrote:

> Cool stuff, John!
>
> I had a couple of observations.
>
> First, as I discovered after I wrote my Counter Tutorial, there's a very
> interesting shortcut to creating a scripted button. After the step in your
> tutorial where you've created the Book script to do the Search, rather than
> creating a new button and moving the script, you can go to the Book viewer and
> click on the small dot next to the script. From that menu, pick "button to fire
> this script" and get a ready-made button all wired up to the script. Then you
> just have to change its label (and its color if you like) and embed it. Voila!
>

> Second, it isn't necessary to create the Book script first and then drag the
> script line over to the button even if you do things as you now describe them.
> Rather, you can create the button, open a viewer, drag out an empty script,
> then open the Book viewer and drag the doMenu tile into that script. Saves a
> step or two.

> (BTW, I noticed that if I clicked on the menu action tile, it brought up the
> menu we are working with so that you could select the menu option directly
> rather than having to go through a _huge_ number of menu options one at a time
> with the clicker. Unfortunately, there appears to be a bug there in that if the
> menu option you want is on the secondary menu you pop up with the "more..."
> option, it neither displays nor sticks.)

Yes, I'll check these out. Good suggestions all!

> When you have us add the blank TextMorphs as editing fields, because all but
> two of them are the same size, it seems like a good time to introduce the green
> duplicate halo. That works so well for layouts like this that it's a shame not
> to show it off! ;-)

Yes. After my experiences with the duplicate button in 2.8 I was
reluctant to use it for 3.0. Silly me ;-)

> I noticed that you and I both had trouble with the concepts of halos and icons.
> I called the entire surrounding pantheon of icons a halo but I think Squeakers
> generally call each of the buttons surrounding the selected object a halo. I'm
> not sure it matters _too_ much but in tutorials we probably ought to agree on
> the terminology.

Yes. Any ideas for what to call the collection of halos? A cluster of
halos? A hoopla of halos? A holy of halos?

Many thanks Dan

If anyone else wants to take a peek, it's at:

http://www.penguin-home.telinco.co.uk/Rolodex_Project

Thanks again

John

Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."