Smalltalk & Squeak featured on Slashdot

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Thu Apr 19 17:02:20 UTC 2001

Mark --

Built on an Alto by Bob Sproull using Dan's bitBlt code to do the
windows and other GUI, which were modeled after the ones already in
Smalltalk. In the early days, Interlisp ran on the MAXC (our fake
PDP-10) and Bob built a smart terminal for Warren Teitelman using the
Alto. I believe this was the first time someone had done the right
occlusion clipping code so that you could have several processes
running in several windows concurrently, even if they were overlapped.

Cheers,

Alan

-------