Further update to Rolodex tutorial

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Apr 25 15:46:12 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 25 April 2001 06:53, John Hinsley wrote:

> The only "big" thing that needs to be done is implement some kind of
> auto-dialer, but the thought occured that this would probably operate at
> a very low level and is probably OS specific. Come to think of it, I
> can't remember ever having seen an auto-dialer for a *nix, and I've seen
> no code for one on any system.
>
> Any ideas?

If you want to use a modem to dial, and have a "real" modem (as opposed to a
software-based modem a/k/a "winmodem"), you can use the SerialPort to send
Hayes AT commands to the modem, wait for a bit, and then hang up.

You'll have to tell the modem not to wait for a dial tone:

ATX0		"no dialtone or busy detect"
ATS6=0		"blind dial with 0 second delay"
ATDT123-4567	"dial"
"now wait for a bit for the dialing to happen"
ATH0		"hang up"

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA