HELP! MIDI-player demo sounds like *@#%!

Andrew P. Black black at cse.ogi.edu
Sun Apr 22 01:56:19 UTC 2001

I'm still in the business of assembling stuff of my ECOOP tutorial.

I just tried out the MIDI player demo that, in 3.x, lives in the "Fun
with Music" project.  I didn't expect any problems, since I have used
this in classes several times over the last couple of years.

It sounds like *@#%!  Well, actually, it sounds worse than that, but
this is a public forum ;-)  I get sounds about 1/4 of the time for 10
seconds, with large chucks of silence in between.  Then I might get 5
seconds of decent music, then back to the drop-outs.

This is on a G3 Powerbook at 409MHz, running MacOS 9.1.  There is
plenty of memory (> 8 MB in Squeak), and Peek-a-boo shows that Squeak
is using more than 90% of the CPU.  I'm running the "Squeak
3.0Alpha8MT" VM.  (Is there a newer VM?  Without that Alpha in its
name?)  Oh, and yes, I did try turning on the "higher performance"
preference.

I tried some older VMs and images, back to 2.7, and they now all
sound equally bad -- which wasn't formerly the case.  Then I
scratched my head, and shut down MacOS 9.1, and booted into MacOS
9.0.4.  In that version of MacOS, things sound pretty good, although
not perfect.

So, this may be a MacOS problem, but we are probably not going to get
Apple to patch it for us.    Anyone know what's going on?

	Andrew