[ENH] GeniePlugin

Nathanael Schärli n.schaerli at gmx.net
Tue Apr 17 15:29:09 UTC 2001

Kevin,

Thanks for keeping me up-to-date. I'm really curious how the plugin
influences the speed on your iPaq.

> First and foremost, I really can't test the GeniePlugin with the enhanced
> StrokeMorph.  I'm still having a lot of difficulty using the new
> StrokeMorph.
> When I pen-down and start making a gesture, the StrokeMorph will very
> quickly draw a couple of pixels and then stop, as though I had raised
> the pen.  Every now and then it lets me draw a complete gesture, but
> mostly
> it foils my attempts.  Do you have any ideas on how I might better
> debug this?  I suspect this is a timing problem that only appears on
> slow devices.

Well, at the moment I can't tell what's the problem since I haven't looked
at the new StrokeMorph in
detail. It must be something platform related, since the new StrokeMorph
runs well on desktop machines.
(BTW: Have you tried using your iPaq image with the new StrokeMorph on a
desktop machine? (Just to
make sure that the problem is not related to the particular image you are
using on your iPaq)). It might be
a timing problem, but it could also be related to the way events (especially
mouse events) are generated
by the device (resp. the VM). While capturing a gesture, the HandMorph is
forwarding every mouse event
to Genie and to code for doing this is a bit tricky and already little
anomalies can make it go wrong.

Debugging this stuff is probably not so easy. The main problem in debugging
stuff related to mouse events
is the fact that every user interaction changes the way the events are
generated. In such a case,
Transcript ouput is sometimes the only thing you can do :(.

But don't spend too much time on it! I'll have a closer look at the
StrokeMorph implementation as soon as
I can (probably tonight) and maybe I'll find something. Otherwise, I'll just
try an alternative
implementation. (Having a faster graphical feedback is quite important for
Genie. If it's slow, it isn't able to
capture enough points and this has negative impacts on the accuracy. So, I
won't give up!  ;)

Cheers,
Nathanael

PS: You never experienced this errorneous behavior using the original Genie
StrokeMorph haven't you?

--
  Nathanael Schärli
    Email: n.schaerli at gmx.net