Linux Squeakers...any problems on 2.4.3?

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Thu Apr 5 02:06:28 UTC 2001

> On Wednesday 04 April 2001 13:53, Kevin Fisher wrote:
> > This is directed towards anyone running the 3.0/3.1 VM on Linux...is anyone
> > 'living on the edge' running the latest & greatest kernel (2.4.3)?
> >
> > I recently updated from 2.4.2 to 2.4.3 and noticed that Squeak suddenly has
> > problems talking to the serial port.  This is strange, since Jpilot (a palm
> > pilot syncher) seems to work just fine.  However, my X10 controller (which
> > uses the Serial class) no longer works.  If I boot back into 2.4.2 I have
> > no problems...Squeak can use the serial ports just fine.
>
> Which platform? There were serial changes for the PPC UART.
> Also for PCMCIA and USB serial ports. And big changes in serial.c. In fact,
> it's not surprising that something broke.

I'm on x86.  I scanned the kernel-devel lists and it looks like there have
been some Xircom serial issues in the past few weeks...unfortunately the Alan
Cox patch didn't apply properly to my kernel source so I couldn't try his
fixes out.  Guess I'll wait for 2.4.4...

> > I'm going to dig into this further if I can, but I thought I'd ask first if
> > anyone else has this problem..  I notice the latest Alan Cox patch has some
> > sort of serial fix so I may give that a try.
>
> Thanks for the heads up! I was about to upgrade...

Yes, I've gone back to 2.4.2 in the meantime.  2.4.2 seems fine unless you
plan on using the filesystem loopback device...it deadlocks in kernel space!
Of course 2.4.3 fixes that, but then the serial ports stop working... ;)  Ah,
the cutting edge of life...

I have strong suspicions that my Jpilot was not synching properly with my Palm
III under 2.4.3 as well...buyer beware!