Squeak + Darwin (was: blah blah blah)

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Tue Apr 10 21:50:34 UTC 2001

Aaron J Reichow wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Karl Ramberg wrote:
>
> > > A microkernel OS would definately be cooler than Linux, and a No-OS would
> > > be ever better, but I'm thinking in practical terms...  Linux would
> > > provide us the ability to run on many platforms (like the OS-requiring
> > > version of Squeak now) and provide us with drivers galore.
> > Drivers is an unsolved issue in SqueakNOS as far as I know. To connect it to
> > my
> > Epson printer fx would be a hassle...
>
> Exactly.  You'd be writing your own driver or driver framework + driver
> for it at this point.  "Hassle" is an understatement. :)

What about just ignoring some driver problems by
- using one - faster - machine with only network and possibly display/keyboard
(?) drivers for Squeak,
- another - slower - one for printing and special drivers (e.g. controlling
modem connections) stuff.

In extreme you also could control the hard disc by the slower machine
connected with a fast network to the Squeak machine (the network would be the
bottleneck here, if the file system is cached (which it is normally)), and
boot over the net.

Greetings,

Stephan

--