Announcing to the world.. (FONTS)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Apr 18 05:33:42 UTC 2001

>On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 11:19:45PM -0400, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
>>  What is "more clearly open source?"
>
>There seem to be three specific issues with the Squeak license
>that have been discussed on the list:
>
>  -- The presence of Apple fonts appears to limit any for-profit
>     redistribution.  This might limit distribution of Squeak
>     on CD-ROMs or even from commercial download sites.

Well this has been solved, but not yet made it into the image. But if
you look at Bob's Super Swiki and find the project

AccuFontLoader.006.pr

That project will attempt to replace the Apple fonts with a set of
fonts that are similar in look/feel which then avoids the dreaded
clause in the Squeak license. Getting these into the image, and
updating the license with the required info hasn't happened yet, but
I suspect it's there somewhere. But perhaps not as important as other
things like www.squeakland.org