UNIX 2.8 and/or 3.0 downloads?

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 02:00:03 UTC 2001

=> 4/4/01 9:34:24 PM EDT, ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz =>
<< Since the installation instructions said to start by doing 'su root' and
since I will be given root privileges on a University machine shortly after
the sun freezes over, I didn't even try. >>

=> 4/4/01 9:37:47 PM EST, tim at sumeru.stanford.edu =>
<< "Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz> is widely believed to have
written:
    >   From: Henrik Gedenryd <Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se>
    >   There was never a final release of 2.8 for nixes, it became 3.0.
    > Sob sob.
    > I can't be the only person who wants a stable 2.8 for Unix, can I?
    > Oh well, where do I pick up a "stable 3.0 for SPARC/Solaris that can be
    > installed easily by idiots without root passwords"?
 sigh. yet another reason for a squeak foundation to get involved. >>

Squeakers of the Unices (particularly the Solaris sub-species):

OK, everybody, are the Unix Squeakers to be abused so lightly?  I would argue
that a functioning 2.8 release is required [ Yea -- verily !! ] before any
platform progresses beyond to 3.0. And if that is not so, why not?

Furthermore, does this mean there is no current Solaris release (usable by
Richard) later than 2.7? There seems to be no 3.0 currently. The 2.7 version
is now how old -- over one year or there-abouts?

Shame. Shame.

Jerry.

Jerry L. Archibald
systemObjectivesIncorporated