Updated Squeak Quick Reference

Andrew P. Black apb at cse.ogi.edu
Sun Apr 15 17:13:47 UTC 2001

Thanks to all of those who have contributed criticisms and fixes for
this reference card. It is much better already.  I'm still working on
it, and will publish a revised version shortly.

Richard Shaehli suggested that I add some words about the Squeak
character set.  The problem that I have is: what words.  I'm thinking
along these lines.  Comments welcome.

. Squeak has its own 256-character set, which may differ from that of
the host platform.

. The characters 0-127 are the same as the corresponding ASCII
characters, with a few exceptions: the assignment arrow replaces
underscore, and characters for the enter, home, insert, pageup, page
down, home, and the 4 arrow keys replace some of the ACSII control
characters.   These characters can be accessed from Squeak using
methods in class Character.

. The characters 128-255 are sparsely populated.  Various symbols,
such as bullets, trademark, copyright, cent, Euro and Yen, dipthongs
and a fair number of accented characters as well as non-breaking
space (Character nbsp) are available at the same codes as in the
Macintosh character set, but fewer characters are assigned than on
the Macintosh.

. The full character set can be viewed by doing a printIt on
"Character allCharacters"

I wonder if the third bullet is correct, or if in fact the upper 128
characters are the same as the Macintosh set, but the standard Squeak
fonts are just missing the Glyphs?

Although the accented characters are available, there seem to be no
easy way of accessing them.  For example, it might be nice is there
were methods acute and grave so that one could type $e acute and $a
grave and get the right character.  And try printit on each of the
following lines in turn in a workspace:

eAcute := 142 asCharacter. 		==> $é
eAcute isLowercase. 			==> false
eAcute isLetter. 			==> false

I was thinking about remedying these deficiencies, but I guessed that
changing the semantics of isLetter might have unexpected side
effects, like allowing identifiers and symbols to contain accents.

	Andrew

P.S.

I think that I should NOT include a list of codes, since there should
never be a need to know them!  But here are the ones that I found
names for:  #(#arrowDown->31 #arrowLeft->28 #arrowRight->29
#arrowUp->30 #backspace->8 #cr->13 #delete->127 #end->4 #enter->3
#escape->27 #euro->219 #home->1 #insert->5 #lf->10 #linefeed->10
#nbsp->202 #newPage->12 #pageDown->12 #pageUp->11 #space->32 #tab->9)