Now that the dust has settled a bit ...

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Mon Apr 23 07:18:10 UTC 2001

... I have a question. From the recent discussions it appeared to me that
several participants in these discussion have the impression that "we"
(e.g., SqC) would not like efforts ala Stable Squeak. Why?

>From my personal point of view Stable Squeak is a very welcome effort. It
has a clear goal and the guys working on it got their stuff together. They
are working on issues where we have simply not the resources to work on
(even our time is limited you know...) or that are not central to our
current primary interests and effectively their and our work overlaps only
in a few places in critical ways. Personally, I like a *lot* of what I've
seen in the pre-release and the only thing that bothers me a bit is that I
haven't seen any earlier versions (which would have greatly simplified
matters of integration). But for me, there's just absolutely nothing wrong
with Stable Squeak (or *any* such effort) - if there's a useful result then
we can look at it, can learn from it, can integrate it and make Squeak
better.

So what's the problem?!

Cheers,
  - Andreas