Further update to Rolodex tutorial

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Wed Apr 25 15:35:00 UTC 2001

Ned Konz wrote:

> What were the GIF's made with? They have strange dithering...

Mmmm. Andrew commented on that: the originals were done in Gimp but were
then squished in Photopaint to reduce bandwidth. It would seem that the
two don't talk to each other too well. The Gimp ones were drop dead
gorgeous, but they were twice the size of the others....

> A hint: add to your personal world menu the following:
>
> aMenu add: 'capture image' target: Utilities action: #grabScreenAndSaveOnDisk
>
> and you'll have a handy capture-rectangle-from-screen-and-save-to-disk option
> at all times.

I'll take a peek at that. It had simply never occured to me.

> Yes, the DTMF (as opposed to MF[1]) tones are:
>
>          1209 1336 1477 1633
>
>         697   1    2    3    A
>
>         770   4    5    6    B
>
>         852   7    8    9    C
>
>         941   *    0    #    D
>
> You can make these directly in Squeak.
>
> SoundPlayer stopReverb.
> AbstractSound dial: '867-5309'.
>
> [1] The tone sets that you may find on the net that use 700, 900, 1100, 1300,
> 1500, 1700 (and 2600) Hz frequencies are no longer useful.

Thanks again, Ned

Cheers

John
Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."