Smalltalk & Squeak featured on Slashdot

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Fri Apr 20 05:28:34 UTC 2001

Alan Kay <Alan.Kay at disney.com> wrote:
	Guess where the Interlisp-D environment came from ..... and when ...
	and what code was used to do its window system .....

Having used Interlisp-D (I was lead programmer on Xerox Quintus Prolog)
I can answer:
    Interlisp came from BBN (maybe someplace else first),
    but Interlisp-D was done at Xerox PARC.

    I first used it in 1984, so I suspect it came *after* most of the
    key work on Smalltalk.

    the window system was written partly in microcode (BitBlt) and
    mostly in Lisp.  There certainly wasn't any Smalltalk in there;
    the Dandelion microstore didn't have enough room for Lisp and
    Smalltalk at the same time.

The D machines were lovely machines to use (especially the Dandetiger)
and the window system in Interlisp-D was *amazingly* easy to program.