Projet DeepLow (was [ ])

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 03:14:27 UTC 2001

Projet DeepLow wrote:

>         Is there anything to create interfaces easily with squeak? (an
> equivalent of the UI-* parcels of visualWorks?

Take a look at Morphic. I think it owes more to Self than the UI-* in VW
(there would seem to be some kind of Morphic in VW, but I've yet to take
a look).

>         I heard about Alice99, does anyone know how to import alice worlds or
> objects in squeak?

They're pretty much in there already, but the syntax for scripting them
is different (from a simplified Python to Smalltalk). Just download
Squeak and choose play with me 7 and you'll find a very familiar
character! You'll also find some basic details of how to import more
actors (Alice objects). If I remember correctly, there's more about this
at www.squeak.org and maybe something at www.alice.org.

> Does anyone know to which extent squeak implemented programs are
> compatible with VisualWorks and to which extent visualWorks
> implemented applications are compaible with squeak?

I'm a newcomer to both, but they both belong to the same dialect of
Smalltalk, so going from one to the other should'nt be that difficult.
And I know for a fact that many of the VisualWorks and Self communities
also use and keep an eye on Squeak, so there is a lot of help out there.

John
Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."