Project storage format questions

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Tue Apr 3 18:41:20 UTC 2001

Ned,

> Note that the .form files have URL's as file names.
> Will this work if/when I give this .pr file to someone
> else who doesn't have net access

Yes, absolutely. That's the entire point of the exercise. The data included
in a project published to your local disk is complete to prevent that sort
of problem that you have when trying to send around HTML files.

> (i.e. what does the project loader do with the URL's?)

The URLs describe resources needed by the project. When the project comes up
it attempts to load these resources from the given URLs. When the project
loader sees that the project file is a "fat" project file (e.g., PKZip
variant) it preloads all the resources from that project file directly and
doesn't even attempt to go out on the net to find the resources.

> And why do those URL's refer to earlier versions of my project?

Because these resources haven't changed since that version.

> Is this an attempt to compress Bob's data storage requirements?

Nah. Just an attempt to prevent multiple uploads to a server if nothing has
changed.

> As an aside, I think the award for "Most Entertaining Abuse
> of the PKZip File Format" will have to go to the current
> Project storage...

;-)

  - Andreas