Smalltalk & Squeak featured on Slashdot

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Thu Apr 19 16:02:10 UTC 2001

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:28:10 +1200 Christopher Sawtell <csawtell at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>I am not exactly in the flush of youth any more, and for me the pin-head size
>of the default font is difficult to read. Trying to select a different font
>just made the font _smaller_  Ugh!! It would seem that the fonts are stuck in
>the VGA era, and have not been modernised for the 1024x768 or higher
>screenresolutions.

Christopher,

I'm curious, do you know about how many pixels per inch your monitor generates? Mine is in the low 80's and, although I have upgraded my reading glasses several times in the last 4 years, I find the Squeak font to be much more legible than, e.g. the TV listings in the newspaper.

You also mention difficulties changing the default fonts. Did you use

	world menu/appearance.../system fonts?

That worked fine for me just now.

Cheers,
Bob