Further update to Rolodex tutorial

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Wed Apr 25 13:53:40 UTC 2001

Karl Ramberg wrote:

> I just tested Ned's code and it is *much* simpler :-)
>
> 1 Make a script for the textmorph with the email address. (It still has
> to be edited textual)
>
> 2 Copy paste this script and accept
>
>                 | message |
>                 message _ 'mailto:', (self costume contents string ).
>                 message asUrl activate
>
> 3 Get a button to fire this script. ( click and hold on the name of the
> morph in the
> script editor, and select from the menu)
>
> That's it:-)

Wow! That *is* perfect. Amazing peice of coding, Ned. Nice peice of
working out, Karl!

I'll go away and document this, take a peek at Andrew's write up for
OOPSLA

http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~black/ecoop2001/Squeak%20Worksheet%201B.html

and should have it up by the weekend as the final version for comments.
The only "big" thing that needs to be done is implement some kind of
auto-dialer, but the thought occured that this would probably operate at
a very low level and is probably OS specific. Come to think of it, I
can't remember ever having seen an auto-dialer for a *nix, and I've seen
no code for one on any system.

Any ideas?

In pseudo it would run something like:

Mouse up on Morphic Rolodex's "call" button

Dialog box: "Do you want to call /work/home/cancel" (Buttons to suit.)

Clicking on the appropriate button dials (I guess, sends a string to
COM3 or whatever Mac or a particular flavour of *nix calls it) the
number or cancels.

Cheers

John

Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."