Smalltalk & Squeak featured on Slashdot

Stephan B. Wessels stephan.wessels at sdrc.com
Fri Apr 20 16:33:13 UTC 2001

Aaron J Reichow wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Stephan B. Wessels wrote:
>
> > Sorry if I appear to be ranting.  Does this make any sense or ring true for
> > someone?
>
> I do this quite a bit too.  Sometimes it's under the influence of a
> psychedlic (keep war-on-drug comments to yourself, please), but most of
> the time not.  Sometimes, I just break out my Juno-60 and find cool sounds
> and sit and makes stuff up for 5 minutes, or an hour.

You just hit on one of the wonderful things that modern electronic keyboards
provide.  A friend of mine who is a recording engineer remarked one day that the
Synthesizer is one of the few devices he'd seen where upon hearing a new sound
someone gets an idea for new music.

Another way of looking at this is to conclude that a "creative instrument" makes
ideas (good and bad) natural, free and easy.  Is it a stretch to imagine that
Squeak is like this?

Perhaps we all have a varying amount of creative ideas that would benefit from
the proper instrument?  Even when it's a tool like Squeak.

 - Steve