Unix builds

Bruce ONeel beoneel at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 7 11:48:30 UTC 2001

"Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
> Bruce ONeel <beoneel at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> 	To the best of my knowledge you do not have to be root.
>
> Ok, it's time to quote the actual text of the INSTALL file,
> for the benefit of those who didn't bother to read it before posting.

I know for a fact that the readme is wrong.  Part of the problem
here is that Ian, the porter to unix and the writer of the
README is not on the mailing list.

Still, inspite of the instructions, you do not have to be root
to install.  I can not change Ian's ftp site though.  What I will do
is put a full package for both 2.8 and 3.0 on the ftp site, Monday.

> 	Now, I've just noticed that SourceForge has the following
> 	sstems:
>
> 	x86 Linux, x86 FreeBSD, Alpha Linux, Alpha Tru64,
> 	Sparc Linux, and Sparc solaris available for building.
>
> Funny, when I go to SourceForge it tells me that no files have been
> released.  What's up?

No, this is not the Squeak sourceforge project, rather SourceForge
has a compile farm which lets you build and test on these
systems.  No, I have not managed to get signed up to use
it but once done then I will build the unix VMs on those systems
as well.

cheers

bruce