[BUG] Smalltlk addToStartUpList: NewClass

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Fri Apr 20 16:07:28 UTC 2001

"Daniel V. Oppenheim" wrote:

> Turns out that if you want a new class to get notified on StartUp (such as
> for initializing a new MidiPlugin), sending <Smalltalk addToStartUpList:
> NewClass> does NOT work. By default the NewClass is put at the end of the
> list -- which is what one would expect. BUT, the StarrtUp list iteration is
> abandoned either after SecurityManager or AutoStart, so NewClass is never
> iterated (this is in: <SystemDictionary send: startUpOrShutDown

Hmm, I just tried it with a class and

startUp
	"Smalltalk addToStartUpList: Test"
	Transcript show: 'Test started'; cr

The method has to be implemented on the class side and is spelled
"startUp". Sounds silly, but, implementing a method "startup" caused me
to scratch my head for a while when I implemented the AutoStart/Launcher
stuff  8-\

Do you run Squeak inside a browser or standalone?

Michael

--
 "To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often."
                                            Winston Churchill