A still sensible question about _ and :=

Alan Knight knight at acm.org
Mon Apr 23 14:23:02 UTC 2001

Using left-arrow is one issue, but the way it's done also steals a
character from the character set, and more importantly, from the keyboard.
There's no <- key on a keyboard (Well, actually there is. Perhaps we should
use that if we're going to free ourselves of the constraints of mainstream
computing conventions. It's easier to reach than shift-hyphen, too).

So to me, while _, especially in comments or C callouts, is an issue, it's
QWERTY of the moment that is a bigger problem than ASCII of the 70's. After
all, it's not like modern Smalltalks can't display a left-arrow, they just
don't replace an existing ASCII character with it.