UNIX downloads? (with Windows answers)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Thu Apr 5 01:33:40 UTC 2001

Jerry L. Archibald wrote:
	I am certainly not the person to give an authoritative answer on Unix builds,
	but did it work?

Since the installation instructions said to start by doing 'su root'
and since I will be given root privileges on a University machine
shortly after the sun freezes over, I didn't even try.

University policy is that if a Unix machine is connected to the
University network, *only* department's designated sysadmin may know the
root password, even if you own the machine.  This is for network
security/integrity reasons.  Of course, the Mac sitting beside it is
wide open, and Windows boxes are hospitable to every passing virus,
but that's our IT Services for you.