[ENH] Better TrueType fonts

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Mon Apr 2 18:00:59 UTC 2001

Ned Konz wrote:

> On Saturday 24 June 2006 22:25, Karl Ramberg wrote:
> > Ned Konz wrote:
> > > Also, how would you keep the italic characters from getting cut off at
> > > the
> > > upper right of their bounding boxes (and still have decent looking
> > > kerning)?
> >
> > How does the fonts work on different background colors ?
> > I think the form over rule must be modified. The background color of
> > the font form must act as transparent.
>
> It's using Form paint, just like the regular fonts. So you get shades of grey
> around the edges.
>
> This is why I say that a colormap needs to be used:
>
> 8-bit Font              destination
> --
> 0 (transparent)         transparent
> 40 (black)              opaque foreground color
> other shades of grey    foreground color with varying alpha

Ok. But I don't understand why the italic kerning cuts off the fonts...
Are font forms placed after eachother based on baseline kerning and assuming
the glyphs don't overlap verticaly? And italic does overlap verticaly so the
font forms must be copied in front of eachother to not cut the glyphs ?

Karl