Unified Virtual Machine/Image....

Paul Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Wed Apr 18 00:07:03 UTC 2001

Jerome-

You could look at embedded Squeak which I developed a couple years back:
  http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/squeak/

Some Smalltalk code in the image there saves an image as a file defining
a large C array. Then you can link that to the VM and have the image
read from memory (using the extra code in the package). Using this
process requires rebuilding the VM though (a sopposed to say just
tackign the image onto the end of an existing VM or as a resource), and
that version is based on Squeak 2.2 (so it is dated). Because it was
intended for headless operation, the version there also stubs out all
the GUI primitives (leving just text I/O), but you could use the same
approach with a Squeak with a GUI.

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com