UNIX 2.8 and/or 3.0 downloads?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Fri Apr 6 04:40:46 UTC 2001

I wrote:
	> What I want for a UNIX binary release is
	>  *one* directory containing executable, images, changes, README, and
	>  perhaps a man page.  (Oh yes, and an edition of LaLonde revised for
	>  Squeak.  I'm not going to get any of this, so might as well dream.)

Joshua Channing Gargus <schwa at cc.gatech.edu> asked:
	What's LaLonde?

"Inside Smalltalk", by Wilf R. LaLonde and John R. Pugh (sorry, I've been
think of this as LaLonde and had forgotten about Pugh.  Mea culpa.  Mea
culpa.  Mea maxima culpa.).  Two volumes, one blue and one green.  Sometimes
when people talk about the "Blue Book" and "Green Book" they mean this.

GREAT book, but out of print, and of course says nothing about Morphic or
Exceptions.
	> Joshua Channing Gargus <schwa at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
	>
	> 	ftp://ftp.inria.fr/INRIA/Projects/SOR/users/piumarta/squeak
	>
	> I did.  Do you know what it says?

	Umm... CURRENT_STABLE_RELEASE_IS_2.7?

Right.  For heaven's sake, we're up to release 3.1, and we don't have
a stable 2.8?????

	I have no idea; I'm a Linux user.  Not that this is much consolation, but at
	least there is a pre-built Solaris VM of some description.

Well, no.  That's the problem.  No description.  No "this VM works/doesn't
work with 2.x, 2.y, ... changes and images".  No "this includes generic
VM patches up to NNNN."

	[concerning read-only image/changes]

	That's a good idea.  A problem would be with the changes file, since it
	is written to all the time.  I guess Squeak could just force you to SaveAs
	immediately.

That'd be fine.