Another Morphic Tutorial

Dan Shafer dshafer at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 18:54:49 UTC 2001

--- Joshua Channing Gargus <schwa at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 10:38:36PM -0700, Dan Shafer wrote:
>
> > I called the entire surrounding pantheon of icons a halo but I think
> > Squeakers generally call each of the buttons surrounding the
> > selected object a halo. I'm not sure it matters _too_ much but in
> > tutorials we probably ought to agree on
> > the terminology.
>
> I don't.  I call the whole surrounding bunch of handles a halo, and
> each handle a handle :-)  This is what they're called in the source
> code (see HaloMorph>>addDebug/Drag/Drop/Dismiss/EtcHandle).

A halo of handles. I don't suppose there's anything inherently _wrong_ about
that, but semantically it falls apart a bit. I mean, a "handle" both in the
analog world and in the computer UI universe, is an item by which one grabs
hold of something in order to change it. The resize, duplicate, rotate,
collapse, pickup, move, and delete handles can certainly be thought of as
handles in that sense. But the menu and eye handles can't be. Some others are
less clear.

However if the source already uses this terminology, changing it should demand
a compelling reason and I'm not sure we have one here.

So I'd lean toward a halo of icons or a halo of buttons rather than a halo of
handles but I'm not so strongly convinced of that that I'd argue very hard
against it.