UNIX downloads? (with Windows answers)

Steve Gilbert steven.l.gilbert at lmco.com
Thu Apr 12 16:34:36 UTC 2001

Ned Konz wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 April 2001 16:46, Steve Gilbert wrote:
>
> > > There definitely aren't any reds here. But it also seems that blue is on
> > > the wrong side?
>
> What seems to be happening is:
> Squeak wants:           you get:
> red                     nothing
> green                   blue
> blue                    green
>
> which (to me, anyway) implies that your word endianness is set up wrong, or
> that your X server is reporting its capabilities/masks wrong.
>
> What X color depth and masks does xdpyinfo report (it may be different for
> Hummingbird vs. the native X server)?
>
> Mine looks like this (some info omitted):
>
> screen #0:
>   depths (1):    24
>   depth of root window:    24 planes
>   preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 16777215
>   number of visuals:    1
>   default visual id:  0x22
>   visual:
>     visual id:    0x22
>     class:    TrueColor
>     depth:    24 planes
>     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
>     red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
>     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
>
> Also, have you tried the -xshm flag locally? (that assumes that your local X
> server has SHM; this is also reported by xdpyinfo near the top of its
> results):
>
>     MIT-SHM
>
> --
> Ned Konz
> currently: Stanwood, WA
> email:     ned at bike-nomad.com
> homepage:  http://bike-nomad.com

Well on the Hummingbird X it looks like this:

sgilbert at rmdi-alpha[24] xdpyinfo
name of display:    xxx.xxx.xx.xxx:0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    Hummingbird Communications Ltd.
vendor release number:    6110
maximum request size:  4194300 bytes
motion buffer size:  1
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    8, MSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    MSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    3
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 254
focus:  window 0x40000d, revert to PointerRoot
number of extensions:    13
    BIG-REQUESTS
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    Extended-Visual-Information
    HCL-DOS-Access
    HCLMISC
    HCLxperf
    LBX
    SECURITY
    SHAPE
    TOG-CUP
    XC-APPGROUP
    XC-MISC
    XInputExtension
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1024x768 pixels (320x240 millimeters)
  resolution:    81x81 dots per inch
  depths (3):    1, 8, 24
  root window id:    0x2a
  depth of root window:    24 planes
  number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x20
  default number of colormap cells:    256
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 16777215
  largest cursor:    32x32
  current input event mask:    0x780000
    SubstructureNotifyMask   SubstructureRedirectMask
FocusChangeMask
    PropertyChangeMask
  number of visuals:    2
  default visual id:  0x22
  visual:
    visual id:    0x21
    class:    PseudoColor
    depth:    8 planes
    available colormap entries:    256
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x22
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff, 0xff00, 0xff0000
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
sgilbert at rmdi-alpha[25]

Looks like the red, green and blue masks are significantly different
than yours are.

What's strange is that Squeak 2.7 renders just fine, so something has
changed between now and then.

-- Steve