Smalltalk & Squeak featured on Slashdot

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Fri Apr 20 16:42:51 UTC 2001

> From: Stephan B. Wessels [mailto:stephan.wessels at sdrc.com]
> Perhaps we all have a varying amount of creative ideas that
> would benefit from
> the proper instrument?  Even when it's a tool like Squeak.

*Especially* when it's a tool --- or, more generally, toolbox --- like
Squeak.  Creative flow tends to stop abruptly when the tools to express that
flow aren't readily to hand or cannot be found, whether that's painting,
sculpture, music or programming.

One of the great advantages of Smalltalk in general, and Squeak in
particular, is that the tools are likely to be in the toolbox *somewhere*.
One of the great *dis*advantages is rummaging around that huge toolbox
trying to find the tool you want, and knowing that someone's likely to have
built it in a form much more elegant than the one you just had to build but
didn't want to spend any time on.  Nobody's entirely solved that particular
problem, although the code-fragment-locating tools in Squeak come the
closest of any I know.

		- Peter