Smalltalk & Squeak featured on Slashdot

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Apr 19 03:03:11 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 18 April 2001 18:10, Paul Fernhout wrote:

> Also, the lack of modularity makes it hard to put in place an
> alternative faster GUI.

That isn't my impression; it seems like when you enter a Project you can do
more or less anything you want (perhaps by subclassing Project or changing
its logic).

There's nothing magical about the Morphic event loop; you could do this in
your own UI as easily. The Input Process keeps running, and you can just get
events off the queue.

Of course, if there were a real hierarchy of Project types (MorphicProject,
MVCProject, FabrikProject, etc.) it would be easier (yes, I guess this is
modularity).

And you wouldn't be able to use any of the tools in your new UI (at least not
easily).

But for a consumer device or standalone app, this might be fine.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com