Learning Smalltalk

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald at aol.com
Wed Apr 18 20:37:00 UTC 2001

=> 4/18/01 12:48:04 PM EDT, jlee0011 at san.rr.com =>
<< Can anyone recommend a good book to use to learn Smalltalk (in general)??
I currently have "On to Smalltalk" by Patrick Henry Winston (which is
extremely well written), "Squeak - Object-Oriented Design with Multimedia
Applications" by Mark Guzdial, and "Smalltalk in Brief - Introduction to
Object-Oriented Software Development" by Kenneth Lambert/Martin Osborne. >>

I have usually recommended 'Smalltalk by Example' by Alex Sharp. It has a
VisualWorks orientation, but covers from the basics (Magnitude, Collections,
Streams) up to software design and user interface constructions. It is very
well written.

I don't know that it is currently available, however.

Smalltalk by Example
Alec Sharp
Pub: McGraw Hill
ISBN  0-07-913036-4