latest Jitter source?

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Fri Apr 6 20:41:25 UTC 2001

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 01:18:59AM -0700, Tom wrote:
> I'm running Squeak 3.0 on Linux.  I'd like to take a look at the Jitter
> code for PPC and see how difficult it might be to port over to x86.
>
> Can anybody help me get started by letting me know what sources I
> should look at?

The port to x86 is nearly complete... but some issues remain. You
can get the source from

Unix Source:
http://irafs1.ira.uka.de/~marcus/j3/Squeak-3.0pre2-j3.11j.tar.gz

This version *does not* run on Linux/x86 as is...

You need to change some #defines to be:

1)  optimise.cc
#define  OPT_INLINE
#undef   OPT_FULL

2)genArray.h
#undef INLINED_AT

3)machine.cc
#define      INDIRECT_ICACHE false

Building J3:
------------
->say "make" in the "ccg" directory, than
->mkdir build in the top-dir
->in "build": ../src/unix/configure --enable-jit
->make

> Is most of the stuff implemented in C or in Smalltalk?

C++ and assembler (for the code-generator)

> Do people who run Squeak PPC routinely use the Jitter, or do most
> people run the byte code interpreter regardless of platform?

The Jitter is *not* used in production yet. There is a show-stopping bug
wrt. loading saved Projets in the current version, but an earlier MACOS
version was used by some brave souls at Squeak Central and it proved
to be very stable.

  Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de phone at home:(0721)6649375 @work:(0721)6082749