Squeak on Mac emulation performance oddities

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Thu Apr 12 03:43:52 UTC 2001

Jay,

Aside from the really odd issue of wanting to run Squeak on a 68k
Simulator... :-)

> Squeak 2.8 "0 tinyBenchmarks":
> Athlon 1200 (mac emu) 	23.0M bytecodes/sec  885k sends/sec
> Athlon 1200 (linux)	52.7M bytecodes/sec 2483k sends/sec
>
> Now that seems really...odd to me.  Only a 50% b/sec penalty
> for the detour through 68k code?
>
> I don't know what this means.  I have this feeling that the
> 68k Mac VM is somehow structurally more efficient than the x86 Linux VM.

Nah. I'd say for one thing it's poor x86 code to begin with. There are a few
hacks that make a huge difference - for example, my (Win98) 700MHz P3 gives
me:

'56,239,015 bytecodes/sec; 1,677,593 sends/sec'

Note that the send speed scales with the machine speed but that the byte
codes are actually faster on my (slower) machine. Somebody ought to look at
that gnuify script and find out what's broken on Linux. There's a factor of
two lurking in byte code speed right around the next corner.

Cheers,
  - Andreas