Squeak on Mac emulation performance oddities

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Apr 17 12:44:26 UTC 2001

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Jay Carlson wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg [mailto:bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de] writes:

> > >     Andreas> (slower) machine. Somebody ought to look at that gnuify
> > >     Andreas> script and find out what's broken on Linux.
> > >
> > > I wasn't aware, that when you build the vm from the sources for unix
> > > (3.0pre2) gnuify won't be used at all by default. After changing
> > > interp to gnu-interp in the Makefile I got a vm with a reasonable
> > > performance (just about a factor of 2 in b/s).
> >
> > There must be something wrong on your system! The Makefile is written by
> > the configure script. The configure script looks if the C compiler used is
> > in fact gcc. If it is, it throws in the gnuification step. Works great on
> > my Linux box.
>
> I've been using 3.0pre1.  Reading the configure script reveals that gnuify
> won't be run unless configure is run with the --with-gnu-awk option.
> bc/sec goes from 52M to 97M, send/sec from 2.45M to 3.03M once this is
> given.
>
> 3.0pre2 fixes this, as it goes looking for a program named "gawk" on
> its own.  Mystery solved, at least for me.

Actually, we're both sort of right ;-) The configure script in 3.0pre2
tests for *both*, gcc and gawk:

AC_DEFUN(AC_GNU_INTERP,
[INTERP="interp"
AC_SUBST(INTERP)
AC_PROG_AWK
AC_MSG_CHECKING(whether we can gnuify interp.c)
if test "$GCC" = "yes"; then
  case "$GAWK" in
  yes|no) ;;
  *) if $AWK --version /dev/null </dev/null 2>&1 | fgrep -i gnu >/dev/null
     then GAWK=yes
     else GAWK=no
     fi ;;
  esac
  if test "$GAWK" = "yes"
  then INTERP="gnu-$INTERP"; AC_MSG_RESULT(yes)
  else AC_MSG_RESULT(no)
  fi
else
  AC_MSG_RESULT(no)