Announcing to the world..

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Apr 17 23:20:06 UTC 2001

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Although I sort of agree with most of Tom's suggestions, I don't really
> see us having only one chance at publicising Squeak.

I agree.  I think this may be a good time for a "medium-sized" publicity push, but not a "huge" push. :)

It may be awhile before all of Tom's points are addressed, but Squeak does have a relatively new out-of-the-box look, and 3.0 is a nice round number which deserves some publicity, at least.

So I'd say let's go ahead with the medium-sized publicity push, including slashdot, etc.

> And I certainly
> don't see slashdot as particularly important; the average demonstrated
> IQ of the assorted respondents (based on the questions and their
>
> The Apple font problem can be solved; in fact it should be solved by
> some code Duane Maxwell contributed ages ago. Don't know where it is
> now.

It sounds like the Stable Squeak image (from the Squeak World Tour) has resolved the font licensing problem... it has some new, donated, license-clean fonts and none of the Apple/MS fonts.  (At least this is what John Sarkela was telling everyone at Smalltalk Solutions, so I assume it's okay for me to repeat here. :) )  Stable Squeak also addresses some of Tom's other points... perhaps once it's out there, it may be the version which warrants a big publicity push.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com