Adding & managing Preferences

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Mon Apr 23 21:56:11 UTC 2001

In my revitalized question to spam the Squeak list, I have a question :)

What's the current best practice for adding a putatively global
preference? I see the methods in the add preferences protocal, but I'm
unsure when and where exactly to do this. Should it be included in a class
initialization? Startup of the image? Add a method to Preferences? Test
for the presence of the Preference when checking for the value of it?

Second issue: It's not clear to me how to support non mere true/false
preferences, e.g., server names or the like.

Third issue (while I'm rolling :)): Is the Preferences class sutible for
customizing for local app preferences? I.e., if I'd like to have a
preference set for Celeste but didn't want it in the global panel, perhaps
because i wanted to have multiple sets of preferences, or I don't know :)

There was a fourth, but I've forgotten it :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.