Squeak on slashdot - other ramblings

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Thu Apr 19 19:17:44 UTC 2001

> From: Jim Benson [mailto:jb at speed.net]
> <good stuff snipped>
>
> In retrospect, I guess the
> visit was a little like Icarus flying too close to the sun.
> It has forced me to spend the last several weeks trying to
> rethink what programming should be, and how to implement it.
>
> <snip!>
>
> Personally, I am very disappointed about how little we have
> progressed in the last twenty years in programming. I find it
> very hard to believe that Smalltalk and Interlisp-D are the
> ultimate pinnacle of programming environment achievement,
> even though 20 years have not shown otherwise.
>
> <snip!>
>
> Let's use Squeak to make something better. Use Squeak as a
> bootstrap to build a worthy successor.

IIRC Alan often says the same sort of things here on the list.  "Smalltalk's
not the be-all and end-all"..."the romance is still out there"..."the best
way to predict the future is to invent it"..."go to the light" (well, maybe
not that :-).  I think what you've got is a bad case of "Alan Kay"
disease...or maybe it's a drug, and you're becoming an addict.

<blink>

I gotta get me some of that...  (~  <---  supposed to be "half smiley, half
not"

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken