[BUG]? movie player? open as menu?

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Fri Apr 27 15:50:01 UTC 2001

John Hinsley <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk> wrote...
>Yes, I get this and did the extra VMM. If Andreas is right (and that
>pretty much explains things) then I guess *nix versions really need an
>alternative message saying that movies can be created, but not run in
>Unix Squeaks. (But this is a bit wierd as, as I've said, I can clearly
>see the "movie" as it's being made). It may be that I can play around
>with the creation method to get a display method (although it won't be a
>movie).
>
>In this I'm just doing some preparatory playing about looking for a way
>to display a jubilant dancing figure who has just escaped the noose --
>as in the java Hang Duke applet.

If you or anyone else is interested, it should be quite simple to fake async access on *nix with a synchronous implementation.  At the worst it should only slow things down by a factor of two.  This could be used until the async primitives get implemented there.

Also, for this particular application, you might want to consider a nice compact little bit of Flash.

	- Dan