Squeak Alice Compatibility

Projet DeepLow Deeplowsoftware at oreka.com
Sat Apr 14 17:52:50 UTC 2001

hi!

We are supposed to build a 3D application with squeak. We thought we
would use the Wonderland class derived from Alice 99. We thought the
actors were completely compatible and it appears they are not. Whereas
everything (every mdl + vfb + bmp combo) we have managed to use in
squeak could be used in Alice, hardly anything coming from alice could
be used in Squeak. The models we used were the ones that come with
Alice and those downloaded from :
ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/alice/Objects.zip
The models downloaded from all work in Alice, and some of them (not
all) work in squeak.
The models from Alice all work in Alice and NEVER work in squeak.

We were wondering if anyone could explain us this compatibility
problem, and provide us with a solution.
Is there a way to import 3D objects in squeak Wonderland that would be
reliable and wouldn't involve very expensive software (e.g. 3D
studio)?
Are there any convenient methods that would allow us to design the
objects (shape, sub-objects hierarchy, texture...) directly from
squeak smallTalk?

We are looking forward to getting information : we're on the brink of
despair.

Projet DeepLow
(Maîtrise informatique de l'Université de Savoie / France)
Explorateur 3D en SmallTalk
Serna Audrey (madame_dodue at hotmail.com)
Josserand Samuel (samjosserands at yahoo.fr)
Loiseau Mathieu (MateOstl96 at aol.com)