Squeak Alice Compatibility

Tom tmb at lumo.com
Sat Apr 14 21:04:46 UTC 2001

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 01:33:49PM -0700, Raab, Andreas wrote:
> I think the primary problem you're having is that Squeak isn't a full
> simulation of Python (which is used in many places for describing the
> models). If you look for instance in an .mdl file you'll see that it
> actually *is* Python code. The model importer for .mdl files is pretty
> straightforwardly scanning for a few well-known Alice statements and is not
> actually running the Python code. That already explains a lot about the
> incompatibilities. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Alice ".mdl
> format" has changed in the meantime - I've found that many of the newer
> models (for instance those distributed with Alice99) do no longer use the
> "magic phrases" we're scanning for. What you could do to solve some of the
> import problems (short of re-implementing Python in Squeak ;-) is to have a
> closer look at those files that give you headaches.

Why not write a short piece of Python that reads the .mdl file, builds
the model, and then spits out something that is more easily digested by
Squeak?

> I'm reasonably sure that
> it is possible to come up with a few more (or different) magic phrases that
> will do the trick. If you need a bit of help, then send me some of those
> files (privately!) so I can check them out and give you some hints about
> what to do to read these files. Alternatively ... hm ... I might enjoy the
> idea of having a full Python environment in Squeak ;-))

Well, Python is embeddable.  If people connect AppleScript to
Squeak on the Mac to get at Mac functionality, why not connect
"UnixScript" (Python, Perl, Tcl/Tk) to Squeak on UNIX?  That instantly
gives you high-level, safe access to a lot of native functionality.

Cheers,
Thomas.