New Mac VM, consolidated downloads, unix/linux downloads, et al

Bruce ONeel beoneel at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 6 14:20:25 UTC 2001

Hi,
	Rather than try to respond to a bunch of different messages
I figured I'd write one message.

	First, for you macophiles, there is a new mac VM in the new3.0
directory on st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak.   If you can't find
it the new structure is a failure :-)

	The new3.0 directory is my attempt to impliment the requests
to make squeak easier to get started with.  It is incomplete, though
with luck this weekend should give me time to make it complete.
Once complete it will become the 3.0 directory and the current
3.0 directory will become old3.0.

	The goal here is to make a useful site that is easy for
newbies to use as well as one which is useful for those of us
who are not so new.  This means that it has full packages with
VM, .image, .changes, and .sources for different systems as well
as VMs and other individual files.  With any luck the naming
convention I tried to follow is clear.

	On the unix/linux VMs.  I can build linux VMs on
st.cs.uiuc.edu and will do that for the full up packages.  In addition
I will try to get an account on sourceforge's build cluster
and can build for a list of other machines then.  I may/may not
be able to test these VMs though, first MacOS X must be installed at
home and then X11 for OSX, and then maybe we can test them.
Finally I'll try to add a README.build or so that will add some hints.
In particulare you do NOT have to be root to build or install.
For the full up packages I will also add a README.install that will
tell you how to install these full packages.

	It's easy for me to keep the windows and mac bundles up
to date.  It's not so easy for the unix ones and it's downright hard
for the other systems so I could use everyone's help.  Best is to
build what you as a user of say BeOS or OS/2 would want to install, put
it on a well connected site and send me a URL.  Please do not send me
7meg email attachments :-)  If building the full up package is hard,
just the VM in .tar or .zip format and some instructions as
to where in the directory structure the .image/changes/source files
go for your system.  Ditto for RPMs, Debian package files, etc.

	Two final things.  First, have a bit of patience with this.
I'm now behind a firewall (anyone want to do telnet tunnelling
through http for Squeak and then run a server?  You'd have my
undying gratitude) and second I'm shutteling between Geneva and
Zuerich daily so I don't get much time.

	Lastly (hmm, that's not working so well) I do NOT plan to build
full up packages with VMs for 3.1alpha or whateveralpha.  Why?
If you don't know enough about Squeak to grab the the right 4 files
you probably shouldn't be running the alphas.    It will only delay
you for a week or so anyway before you are running the testpilot
releases :-)

cheers

bruce