Smalltalk & Squeak featured on Slashdot

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Fri Apr 20 16:13:38 UTC 2001

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Stephan B. Wessels wrote:

> Sorry if I appear to be ranting.  Does this make any sense or ring true for
> someone?

I do this quite a bit too.  Sometimes it's under the influence of a
psychedlic (keep war-on-drug comments to yourself, please), but most of
the time not.  Sometimes, I just break out my Juno-60 and find cool sounds
and sit and makes stuff up for 5 minutes, or an hour.  Othertimes, I just
sing random stuff.  A lot of it's junk and just plain stupid. Sometimes
it's elementry school potty humor, sometimes it's profound philosophical
maxims.  I also improvise beats with my mouse ("beat boxing") and have a
bass line going at the same time. Lately, I've been making variations of
Mario 3 music- I sang for about a half an hour along with the regge-like
music of world 4.

I'm much prone to letting something out my mind that is brilliant during
these times than why I sit down and actually try to compose.  Then, it's
often flat or boring.  Will accept donations of portable DATs. :)

Aaron

Aaron Reichow  ::  Twin Ports ACM VP ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"The profit system follows the path of least resistance and following the
path of least resistance is what makes a river crooked." -U. Utah Phillips