Smalltalk & Squeak featured on Slashdot

Christopher Sawtell csawtell at xtra.co.nz
Thu Apr 19 10:12:10 UTC 2001

On Thursday 19 April 2001 16:41, Doug Way wrote:
> Simon Michael wrote:
> > Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> writes:
> > > Ridiculous, don't you think? Slashdot has become the 'National
> > > Enquirer' of the web world.
> >
> > I respectfully disagree. The key is to skim it at level 3, 4 or 5.
> > I'm a long-time slashdotter and still learn a lot there.
>
> I'm probably missing something obvious, but how are these levels assigned
> to postings on Slashdot?  Are there moderators?  I didn't notice any sort
> of option to let me vote on whether a particular posting was helpful...

It's quite complicated; First you have to have login so that you are a member
of the Slashdot Community, thus getting your name on the displayed home page.
Then you volunteer to be a moderator via customizing your user settings. Next
they give you a whole series of  test moderations in order to test that your
judgemant is more or less along the politically correct road. Once that
hurdle has been overcome, you are suddenly let loose on real live moderating.
It is an extreamly time consuming process as one is supposed to read at a
threshold of -1 so you see, read and moderate _absolutely everything_. I did
a shift for a couple of months and then a more active "real life" compelled
me to flag it away. Taken overall it's not onerous, but when your turn comes
up it's a time consuming PITA.

--
Sincerely etc.,

 NAME       Christopher Sawtell
 CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
 ICQ UIN    45863470
 EMAIL      csawtell @ xtra . co . nz
 CNOTES     ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

 -->> Please refrain from using HTML or WORD attachments in e-mails to me <<--