Looking for pointers to avoid wheel-reinvention!

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Thu Apr 19 14:14:27 UTC 2001

Chris Wright wrote:

> So, I need to ability to have a look at the program-as-data and branch on
> that. Is there an OK way to do this in Squeak (where the plan could be
> represented as strings of Squeak code in a OrderedCollection and executed by
> Compiler>>evaluate? Or should I hunker down and write an interpreter for a
> language and use that...?

Whoa. Write an interpreter! This can be done a lot more easily. You don't
say much about what can be in a plan (e.g. the variance and scope among the
things that may go into a plan).

Anyway, I'd suggest you use MessageSend objects to represent messages. Put
these in OC's. This would enable you to avoid most/all of the work of
translation and interpretation.

I take it you are familiar with the debate on beliefs/desires etc. within
the philosophy of mind, yes? ;-)

Henrik